Saturday, May 06, 2006

Arrival in the hot season


I arrived in the hot season and truly it was hot. The city was sweltering and embroiled In political turmoil. The country was split and massive demonstrations were taking place in the city. We only stayed In Bangkok for 5 days and managed to avoid the crowds and any entanglements. The situation has now resolved with Prime Minister ThaksIn leaving office amid accusations of corruption and abusing political office for financial gains. Though It Is rumored he Is still pulling political strings behind the scenes his party Is still In power and enjoys the popularity of the poor. It has now been nearly 2 months and I have acclimatized and some have said gone native. The other day I ate fried scorpions. Big black ones that were quite crunchy and not at all bad. It did take some courage to down them though and some cold beer was the proper lubricant.
There are lots of Insects here, most notably the ant and the mosquito. The ants coming in various sizes are more of a nuisance and besides the occasional bite or taking over the kitchen they seem to be quite harmless. I on the other hand regard mosquitoes as being potentially dangerous blood sucking critters. Besides they itch. I have declared total war on the pests and attack and kill them whenever I make contact with the foe. My main defense is a large bug zapper in the living room and the handy tennis racquet type bug swatters, which I keep in every room. Ah life In the tropics.

2 Comments:

Blogger rumour said...

my site has a really cool ant video this week... on giant ants u should check it out.

11:48 PM  
Blogger ultralume said...

Roger that, no pet ants for me, thanks.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home